Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Food I have eaten

I had a baked potato today that nearly killed me.

With that in mind, I decided that this would be a good point to do a stocktake of some of the food I have eaten during my trip.

China: Highlight – smoked fish. Lowlight – eyeball of smoked fish that was accidentally eaten due to careless chopstick control. Honorable mention – scorpions on a stick (though I didn’t actually eat those).

Sweden: Highlight – Abba caviar. Lowlight – McDonald’s (due to price of food everywhere else).

Denmark: Highlight – Meatballs. Not very imaginative, but tasty nonetheless for a country where the national dish is an open sandwich. Lowlight – McDonald’s (even more expensive than Sweden).

Latvia: Highlight – chocolate truffles. Lowlight – bad coffee (tasted like mud and communism).

Austria: Highlight – Wiener Schnitzel (delicious) and pizza (cheap and tasty). Lowlight – overpriced sacher torte that was average at best.

Hungary: Highlight – goulash. Sounds awful, tastes like awesome. Lowlight: goulash. Once I had had a taste of the good stuff, all other goulash was just inferior – and left me disappointed and chasing the dragon.

Czech Republic: Highlight – ribs at the caveman dinner. Lowlight – the same ribs the next day after mixing them with too many whiskeys.

Germany: Highlight – Salad (it had been a while since vegetables other than potato had been on the menu). Honorable mention – if not for the salad the Bratwurst would have surely been top of the list. T’was as tasty as it sounds. Lowlight – Dunkin Donuts donuts. Three make you sleepy.

Holland: Highlight – mini pancakes drizzled with lemon syrup and icing sugar. Honorable mention – I hear the hot chips are delicious, but I didn’t get to try any. Lowlight – the drinks at the live sex show; I’m convinced the glasses weren’t so clean.

France: Highlight – the 99c baguette I bought in a truck stop with a small jar of jam. Lowlight – the fact that I only spent an hour in Paris meant that I don’t have a lowlight. Watch this space.

England: Highlight – the pork pie from the Sillfield Farm butchers at the Borough Market. Lowlight – the baked potato I had from a foodcourt this evening. Cost me 5 pounds and it came stacked with so much cheese that I nearly had a heart attack from looking at it. That I ate it all still shames me.

Scotland: Highlight – Haggis is actually rather tasty, as is the whiskey. Lowlight – the Tiramisu that tasted like somebody had taken a stale sponge and left it outside overnight and sprinkled it with cocoa. Honorable mention – all other food in Scotland. It’s all rather average; not bad, just average.

No comments:

Post a Comment