Sunday, August 9, 2009

Time for another country, already!

Once you've decided you've had enough of a country, it's hard to stick around another day.

At least that's how I'm feeling about Sweden right now.

Oh sure, it's lovely and old and hip and all that stuff, but I'm about ready to take on a new country and struggle with their currency for a little bit. It's only fair.

I'm spending today in Göteborg, which is my final destination in Sweden. I'll be hanging out around the town and exploring as much as I can with a full backpack and a strong need to do a load of washing. Tonight I will be staying in a hotel before leaving on the 6.27(am!) train to Copenhagen. There I will spend three days looking at little mermaids and searching for the Grimm, and then I will fly to Vienna to start my tour.

Göteborg is an odd place. Not odd as in they wear pants on their heads, but odd in that it's what I suspect all European cities will look like, and so I'm not sure yet of any unique 'Göteborginess'. There are cobblestones and bridges and cathedrals, sure. But there are also McDonalds' around every corner (sometimes two), and there are a lot of tourists walking around with 'Guide to Göteborg' maps etc.

I'm one of them.

So I guess then that I'm not so special after all. Once I'm in Copenhagen I'll just be another Kiwi taking a forced-perspective photo of the Little Mermaid and being a douche bag for my country. That's the plan, at least.

I had a dream last night that my tour group was filled with elderly jewish pensioners, and that it was a tour of the kosher delis of Europe. I really hope that it was only a dream.

Still a little bit homesick. I think it's mainly to do with the lack of access to a washing machine however, and so I trundle on, knowing that soon I will be enjoying the recession-laced UK and US, spending up large with the all powerful NZ Dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment