Sunday, November 1, 2009

Intrepid. It's a very big ship.

I have spent a bit of time in New York now, in fact it's now a little over a month. And I realised I hadn't really done anything overly touristy. So I decided to change my approach a little, and take a day to do some sightseeing.

I started off by visiting the Intrepid - a retired Aircraft carrier parked permanently on the Hudson riverbed at the end of 42nd Street, which is now a dedicated floating museum of 'air, sea and space', complete with a decommissioned cold-war era submarine (including nuclear missile), a concord, and many different types of fighter jets (including an aermacchi training jet).

Using my military ID to get in for free, I started off my sojourn at the sub, where we were greeted by a stocky little man who very happily informed us that the nuclear missile we were only metres away from would evaporate all of Manhattan, and the surrounding boroughs, were it to still be active. With that in mind, we all made the appropriate 'oohs' and 'ahhs' while taking plenty of photos of something that could obliterate everything from here to Hoboken.
Inside the submarine were plenty of knobs and buttons and such, all of which looked very technical, old and impressive, and I had no idea what anything did.

Having seen 'Hunt for Red October' around seven times, I was totally surprised at how small the submarine actually was. This sub was supposed to crew 88 people (mostly sailors - though the photo is for officer's accommodation. Sailor's accommodation berthed up to 20[?]) for up to six months at a time, but was around the same size as my apartment back home:


Then I looked at some planes.


1 comment: