Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Wall. Great.

The Great Wall of China is over 10,000km (or 5,434,783 Steves) long. I am 1.84m tall.

Fortunately I did not have to walk the whole length of the wall, but the section I did walk was very impressive indeed!

We left Beijing at 9am to the Mutianyu section of the wall – with far fewer tourists than the section closer to Beijing. So while it took a little while to get there, it was totally worth it!



As you can see, the wall was not very crowded that day, so we got to spend some quality time there without being rushed about by Americans. Don’t get me wrong, there were still plenty of Americans around, including some NBA players (who kept following me and trying to talk to me and stuff – would totally have been cool if they weren’t also making a documentary about how friendly NBA players were or something), but there was at least a good chunk of wall available per person – a rarity in Beijing!

I also made friends with some of the local Japanese tourists:

All in all a good day.

2 comments:

  1. That photo made my day. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol... now there's the Steve we know and love - hard to spot you with those sunnies and that cap :-)

    ReplyDelete